Lane closures on the Burnside Bridge will begin in early January for surface repairs as part of Multnomah County’s Burnside Bridge Maintenance Project. The project will require closure of two lanes for two years, January 2018 to December 2019. Weather permitting, a full bridge closure is planned for the weekend of January 5-8 to install staging and traffic control for construction.
TRAFFIC IMPACTS – Bridge Surface
- FULL WEEKEND CLOSURE – Friday, January 5 at 11 p.m. to Monday, January 8 at 5 a.m., weather permitting.
- TWO LANES CLOSED (one lane in each direction) – January 2018 to December 2019.
Contractors will perform bridge surface work in two phases: south side in 2018; north side in 2019. (Note: the attached construction notice shows 2018 south side closures.)
- Occasional night time full bridge closures throughout construction.
- Bike and pedestrian shared-use paths and sidewalks will be maintained on both sides of traffic.
- The Eastbank Esplanade staircase will remain open with occasional night closures.
Under Bridge Work Activities
- Work under the bridge has been ongoing since April 2017. This work is being done in stages.
- NE/SE 3rd Avenue – currently under construction. Vehicle, bike and pedestrian access is being maintained.
- Waterfront Park – January to Spring 2018 – bike and pedestrian access will be maintained.
- Naito Parkway – January to Spring 2018 – temporary lane closures; on east side of Naito, bike and pedestrian access will be detoured through Waterfront Park.
- NE/SE 2nd Avenue – Fall 2018 to Winter 2019 – vehicle, bike and pedestrian access maintained.
This project will complete a number of repairs on the Burnside Bridge to expand its service life. These include structural, mechanical, electrical and surface repairs.
More information about the project can be found on the website: www.burnsidebridge.org.