Every 3rd Friday of September people all around the world participate in PARK(ing) Day, a day to adapt a street parking space into a temporary pop-up park. PARK(ing) Day is a day to get creative while bringing more active, friendly park space into neighborhoods everywhere. Go Lloyd and Lloyd EcoDistrict are partnering this year to bring you the Birds and Bees of Lloyd, an interactive pop-up park that highlights the Multnomah St bikeway project and Lloyd’s pollinator and migratory bird species. Come visit our park for morning coffee, fun trivia, a DIY birdseed station, information about local projects, “happy hour” evening activities, and snacks throughout the day! Visit us on Multnomah Street near Green Zebra for all day fun!
Walking to work has many mental, physical, and financial benefits, and studies show that people feel better the longer they walk to work even if it takes longer than driving or taking transit.
About how many calories would the average person burn each day by walking 2 miles to and from work (4 miles total)?
A) 100 calories
B) 200 calories
C) 400 calories
D) 800 calories
Answer the trivia question on social media or in person at the Go Lloyd Transportation Store and be entered to win a FREE adult monthly TriMet pass for October! Enter by September 20th. Find us at @golloydpdx on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Join the Oregon Drive Less Challenge & WIN!
Sept. 16 – 30
Discover healthy, green travel options for work, school, errands and play—join the Oregon Drive Less Challenge Sept. 16-30! Burn calories instead of gas by biking to work, or walking to the store. Divide the ride and the cost by carpooling or vanpooling. Take the bus and let someone else do the driving so you can listen to music, or read that page-turning book. Then log your trips at DriveLessConnect.com to win weekly and grand prizes!
Cutting back on driving alone even a few times a week makes a difference for your health and happiness and helps make communities more livable. Plus, the more trips you log during the challenge the greater your chances are to win weekly prizes like Hydro Flasks, Dutch Bros coffee, KEEN shoes and REI and Black Star Bags gift cards. And, you could win one of three GenZe electric bikes valued at $1,500 each, or a $500 cash card, too! Over 55 prizes will be awarded! Every trip counts!
· Sign up at DriveLessConnect.com (or reactivate your account)
· Bike, take the bus or train, carpool, vanpool, walk or telework for work, errands or play
· Log trips Sept. 16-30
· Challenge yourself to drive less…every trip counts!
· WIN PRIZES!
Win Weekly Prizes
Log trips each week for a chance to win weekly prizes:
· $125 KEEN gift cards
· 16oz. Hydro Flasks
· $25 Dutch Bros gift cards
· Black Star Bags $50 gift cards
· $50 REI gift cards
Win Grand Prizes
Log eight or more one-way trips to be entered to win a grand prize:
· One of three GenZe electric 16” e102 Rec Riser bikes with step-through frame made in the USA
· One of three $500 cash cards
Get details and sign up at DriveLessConnect.com
If you need help getting started using transit or biking, sign up for a FREE custom commute plan from Go Lloyd.
Join Go Lloyd on a Skirt Ride!
Celebrate Women Bike Month!
Where: Meet @ Holladay Park
NE Holladay St @ NE 11th Ave
When: September 14th 12-1pm
What: A short, fun bike ride to Eb & Bean Frozen Yogurt to celebrate Women Bike Month and riding bikes in skirts.
Go Lloyd is picking up the tab for the first 20 people. Eb and Bean is offering a 25 % discount for us though! Thanks!
ANYONE is welcome to join us, just wear a skirt, dress, sarong, or a kilt!
Don’t have a bike? No problem!
Ride for FREE on BIKETOWN-Contact Kathryn for a ride code.
Go Lloyd is co-leading Pick It Up, Portland with LDCA, a day to get together and pick up trash! We want to encourage businesses to participate as a group if they can! You can register as an individual or with a group online.
When: August 31, 2017 from 9am-12pm
Answer Go Lloyd's trivia question on social media or in person at Go Lloyd's Transportation Store and be entered to win a FREE adult monthly TriMet pass for September! Enter by August 20th.
How many employees in Lloyd have a Universal Pass (Annual transit sticker/card) through their employer?
A) Approximately 2,000
B) Approximately 5,000
C) Approximately 10,000
WHAT IS IT? Lloyd Universal Pass is a program through which employers provide an annual transit pass to each of their qualified employees for about one-third the cost of a regular TriMet monthly or annual pass. The Universal Pass consists of a serial-numbered sticker affixed to a photo ID, and allows the holder one year of unlimited riding on virtually all public transportation in the Portland metro area.
Do you like walking or biking? Do you like art? Do you like contests?
If you like any of the above, enter our Strava Art Competition and be entered to win rad Strava Gear like hats, water bottles, and shades OR gift cards to local restaurants and shops!
The goal is make a really cool picture using your bike or walk route map. We will award three winners, one for biking, one for walking and one people's choice award.
How to enter & contest rules:
1. Use Strava, the activity tracking app.
2. Start, end or go through the Lloyd neighborhood on your route.
3. Create an interesting G-rated image or phrase by walking or biking, without cheating or breaking the law.
4. Submit your image using the DPX File and/or link your Strava Activity number to Kathryn@golloyd.org and please share to 1 of the 3 Go Lloyd social media platforms, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram using the hashtag #StravaLloyd
5. Submissions must be in by 5pm September 29th
Winners will be selected the first week of October by the Pedestrian and Bicycle Committees as well as through a popular vote. So be sure to share with your coworkers and neighbors!
This summer Go Lloyd is making sure you can keep riding with bike repair stations at the Lloyd Farmers Market! Every 2nd and 4th Tuesdays bring your bike to the market for a FREE safety check. You can also pay for any parts and major repair services there too.
Plus Studio (PSU student group) did an impressive amount of work on the Lloyd Public Space Plan in just a few months! Check out their report which includes public activity scans and surveys, and some great near and long term recommendations to make Lloyd feel more like a neighborhood and place people want to hang out in.
Answer Go Lloyd's trivia question and enter to win a free month TriMet pass for July!
In Oregon, what is a legal crosswalk?
Post your answer @golloydpdx on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram by June 20!
Go Lloyd and +Studio, a group of Masters in Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) students at Portland State University, want your feedback on the Lloyd Public Space Plan!
Bike to Work Day Group Rides - May 19th 2017
Do you want to ride to work on National Bike to Work Day but don’t know where to ride or feel a little concerned? Try riding with a group. We have several ride leaders willing to help you from your neighborhood. See the ride start locations and times below; feel free to contact the ride leader with any questions.
- North Portland - Peninsula Park
- Meet at the NW corner of Peninsula Park (southeast corner of Rosa Parks and Albina/Peninsula)
- Meet up 7:20. Ride leaves promptly at 7:35
- Will ride east on Rosa Parks, south on Vancouver, east on Tillamook, south on 7th.
- Contact: Paula email@example.com
- North Portland - St. Johns
- Meet at St. Johns Roasters at 7304 N Leavitt Ave.
- Ride leaves at 7am
- We will do an easy bike ride to Lloyd via Willamette Blvd and N Vancouver through the Rose Quarter.
- Contact: Grace Cho Grace.Cho@oregonmetro.gov
- NW Portland - Slabtown New Seasons
- Meet at the BIKETOWN station at NW Raleigh and 21st Ave
- Meet at 7:30. Ride leaves promptly at 7:40am
- Will ride on Raleigh > 19th > Overton > Naito > Lower Deck Steel > Esplanade Ramp > Lloyd > Oregon > 1st > Holladay > Oregon Square
- Contact: Daniel Hough firstname.lastname@example.org
- NE Portland - US Bank on Alberta St
- Meet at parking lot of US Bank on East side of NE 42nd and Alberta St
- Meet at 7:15am. Ride leaves at 7:35am
- Contact: Stephanie Caldera email@example.com
- SW Downtown at Portland Art Museum
- Meet at Portland Art Museum, corner of SW Jeffereson/SW Park Ave
- Meet at 7:20am. Ride leaves at 7:30am
- Contact: Lisa Cox Lisarcox@hotmail.com or 816-419-1401
- SE Portland - First Cup Coffee
- Meet at First Cup Coffee at SE 41st and Woodstock
- Meet at 7:15am, ride leaves promptly at 7:30am
- Contact: Marne Duke firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-720-6521
Questions about the Bike to Work Day Party?
Contact: Kathryn email@example.com or 503-236-6441
You biked in and you need to refuel. Coffee and breakfast are on us!
Come to Oregon Square to celebrate Go Lloyd's 20th Annual Bike to Work Day party!
Enter to win a free TriMet pass for May by answering our trivia question!
What percentage of Lloyd residents and employees commute by transit to work?
Submit your answers to @golloydpdx on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram by Friday, April 21.
(Hint: If you look around our website, you might find the answer)
Go Lloyd wants to help you feel confident and excited to start riding your bike so we have several fun workshops and events planned for you in May. Check out the details here or on our calendar.
BIKETOWN Membership Giveaway
Sponsored by Go Lloyd and BIKETOWN
Go Lloyd and BIKETOWN worked together to help five people start biking this spring. We gave away five annual memberships to Lloyd residents and employees. These five people either don't bike or used to a long time ago and need some help getting started again. Read about the winners below.
Thanks to all who entered and to BIKETOWN for the giveaway!